As our families grow and change so does the way we utilize and use our kitchen. It is no secret that kitchens are used for more than just cooking. They are where we entertain, socialize, our children do homework, and so much more. If you are feeling that crunch and your kitchen is no longer working just right for your growing family, it might be time to consider planning a kitchen remodel.
So, what are things you might want to add or change to accommodate your growing family?
- More refrigerator space – Some people assume you need a bigger refrigerator, but why not have a couple of smaller refrigerators with specific uses. Such as one for drinks, and another refrigerator drawer for children’s snacks that is down low and they can easily access.
- Deeper Sink – There are a variety of sink options, but with more family members and social activities come larger pots and pans and definitely more dishes. Explore your sink options and maybe even look at the benefits of including a farmhouse/apron sink.
- Durable surfaces – it is no secret that kids are hard on stuff. We recommend using quartz countertops and choosing a quality cabinet finish that will hold up to kids abuse.
- Work Zones – With your kitchen designer plan and design your work zones based on the needs of your family.
- Pet Stations – Our pets are a part of the family and want to be where the family spends most of their time. There are many ways you can accommodate your pets in the kitchen.
- Hidden Trash – If trash is an eye sore, look for pullout trash and recycle bins. It’s one easy way to keep your kitchen looking less cluttered.
- Island or Counter Space – If you need more places to put things, or need more counter space for kids or others to work on, add and island or peninsula to your kitchen. If you have room, it’s the easy way to upsize.
Our designers at Brakur Custom Cabinetry, know and understand the needs of growing families. They also understand that no two families are alike. They will work with you to design a kitchen that meets the needs and uses of your growing family. If you would like to schedule a free consultation to discuss your upcoming Chicagoland kitchen remodel, contact us here.
Also download our FREE Guide to getting a remodeling quote: